Friday 23 January 2015

Basic Crazy Quilt Course: Progress Update

Hello and thank you for visiting me! Today I would like to share with you the progress I have made learning how to construct a crazy quilt block.  I am following the  Basic Crazy Quilt Course which is organised and run by Kathy Shaw.



Last time, I had learned how to choose a balanced combination of fabrics, how to piece a basic crazy quilt block and then how to hoop it up correctly following Kathy's brilliant instructions.



Since then, I have learned all about various beads, charms and trims. It is incredible the number of different types available and their uses for embellishing crazy quilts.  It has been extremely interesting and I am really enjoying extending my knowledge.



In the last couple of days I have learned how to plan the embellishment of my block and, how to use a template to mark the seams ready to embroider.  I had never really thought about doing this before but, I can now see how important it is to plan your crazy quilt block embellishments in advance.  It enables you to make sure the block is balanced and, avoids any clashes of embellishment on the seams. This is going to help me tremendously when I start embellishing my February CQJP Challenge block.





I have now completed the first stage of the embroidery on the seams and I am very pleased with how the block is looking.  I can't wait to move on to the next stage!



12 comments:

  1. Oh wow you have taken to this crazy quilting like a duck to water..bravo it's coming along fabulously

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn! I am really enjoying this class! Thank you for introducing me to it!! :) x

      Delete
  2. I love reading about your joy in embellisment! And it's looking beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda! Thank you.... I am REALLY enjoying this class! Can you tell? :) xx

      Delete
  3. This is very pretty, I am looking forward to seeing the next stages.
    Does this mean a whole new collection of embellishments to look forward to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janet! Thank you! Yes, lots more embellishment still to go... silk ribbon embroidery, beads, trims and charms! Looking forward to adding them all!! :) x

      Delete
  4. Loved seeing your blog post! Have little time to visit the blogs I follow these days...but seeing a photo from the class make me stop and leave a note. You are doing a wonderful job in the class...and your block just gets more beautiful with every task completed!
    Hugs,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kathy! Thank you so much for visiting! Your comment means a great deal to me!! Thank you so much for all the encouragement.... the class is fantastic... such comprehensive information... I am learning lots and having a lot of fun!! :) xx

      Delete
  5. Wow - you are learning so much and having fun doing so. Your crazy block is looking so interesting and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda! I really am having a fabulous time! It is a great class and I can't wait to get the next stage stitched! Have a lovely weekend!! :) x

      Delete
  6. Liebe Christine,
    dein Crazy Block ist einfach zauberhaft schön!! Ich finde es total klasse was ihr in diesem Quilt Kurs über design, aufbau usw. alles lernt, weiter so und vor allem viel Spaß dabei!
    Liebe Grüße
    Steffi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Steffi! I really am having a lot of fun!! The class is really good and it is great to learn new things! Have a lovely weekend! :) x

      Delete